Serving high school officials in baseball, softball, basketball and football since 1965.
The MSHSL issued guidance on masks for officials dated 4-26-2021.
Baseball and Softball:
• Umpires do not need to wear a mask when actively officiating on the field of play.
• Masks must be worn while not actively officiating on the field of play.
• When a mask is worn, the mask must cover the mouth and nose completely.
• Officials must wear a mask prior to and following the contest, while outside the field of play or during any extended break in play.
• Conduct the pregame conference at home plate, while maintaining six feet from each head coach. Masks must be worn at the pregame meeting.
• Conversations with coaches, athletes or umpires must take place at a distance of six feet or more at all times. Coaches and umpires must be masked during any conversation that takes place.
• Coaches must wear a mask at all times.
• Athletes do not need to wear a mask when they are actively competing. Masks must be worn in places where athletes gather when not actively competing. Compliance of this masking requirement is the responsibility of the coach, activities director and school.
• Umpires are strongly recommended to wear a mask when actively officiating on the field of play. If they are not masked, they are strongly encouraged to test weekly.
• Masks should be all or mostly solid black and may contain a manufacturer’s logo, association logo and/or MSHSL logo. Bring extra masks.
• It is recommended that teams sanitize the baseballs/softballs between innings and umpires should limit touching of equipment (bats, helmets, baseballs, softballs).
• Use hand-sanitizer whenever possible and minimize hand-to-face contact.
• Officials are strongly encouraged to test weekly.
If you are interested in umpiring high school baseball or softball, please email Pete Larkin at email@example.com
Gopher State Officials Association assigns high school and lower level officials in the sports of Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Softball. Gopher State's six original members established the Association in the 1960s and Gopher State has grown to several hundred members covering dozens of schools around the Twin Cities metro and the outlying areas. Gopher State is a member of the Minnesota State High School League. Find out more about Gopher State's history and vision here.
President: Mike Madden
Secretary: Bozo Wincek
Copyright © 2021 GSOA | All Rights Reserved